Wednesday, June 24, 2009

You Don't Know Dick! (Well Now We Do).


The release of some of the Richard M. Nixon (aka Dick) tapes of his private thoughts in the Oval Office had a not so flattering opinion regarding Roe v. Wade just shocks me that someone who was elected to high office had such a slanted view of things. No wonder he didn't express his views publicly because he knew that it would not be the most popular amongst the minorities of the United States.

"Permissiveness" and the breaking up of the family were what he considered would be problems of the Supreme Court decision. People may not agree with me but rape is a logical reason to have an abortion. I do not think I know a woman who would want to carry the child of a person that violated her sexually. The fact that Nixon might find abortion necessary if you have "a black and a white" was a total kick to the gut. In the audio, Nixon didn't even say anything about rape - his aide had to to state it and he agree with him. What the hell? I cannot understand how someone can come out with an interracial pregnancy as being a reason for an abortion. I can come up with so many other "logical" reasons before I could come up with something like that. I hate to label it but I consider Nixon as being a racist. Sorry but if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck - it is a racist.



I love how we have come a long way regarding interracial relationships. I am sure that there were a lot of people who agreed with Dick in 1973 and probably agree with his way of thinking now.

The legacy of Richard M. Nixon has always been a little tainted but as the years go by and more information come out regarding his Presidency is revealed I believe that he will have one of the most "disgraceful" Presidencies we have had in history. Of course everything is subject to opinion. Any good that came from his time in office will be overshadowed by ongoing revelations of his shortcomings.

No comments:

Post a Comment