Wednesday, November 4, 2009

My New Title - Uncle



Sorry for the gaps between entries but I just haven't had the drive to post too many entries as of late. Hopefully after some peaks and valleys in my life smooth out into an even plain, I will get that drive again.

But there has been one significant change in my life. I have acquired the title of Uncle. My brother and his wife have brought a new Toney into the world, Kamden Walter Toney. Born on Monday, October 26, 2009 at 7:26 am. He is a little guy weighing 5 pounds and 6 ounces. There were a few complications but he is home safe and sound and getting stronger every day.

I never really thought that I would be an Uncle. Dwight, my baby brother, and I are getting up there in age where children were not an option anymore. I looked it up and of course everyone knows the main meaning of Uncle - the brother of one's mother or father or the husband of one's aunt. But the meaning that I take to heart is this - one who helps, advises, or encourages.

As children, my brother and I (only 4 years apart, well 3 years and 11 months), we were not the closest of siblings. It took us growing older and hopefully wiser to be close to each other. Even now, we are living in subdivision next to each other. I can drive through the neighborhood and get to his house in less than 90 seconds speeding.


My brother tells me now how much of an influence I had on him (now that we are grown) and how much I helped him over the years. He is a smart guy but even when he gets stumped on a word spelling, instead of consulting a dictionary, he will call or text me. Yes, I know, it is insane. It makes me feel good that I had that type of impact on someone. I have gotten that from past employees under my wing as well and just like everyone else, I always hoped that I can make a positive mark in this world with someone.

I hope that with little Kamden that I will get the opportunity along with my brother to be a positive influence in his life. In a world, where young men are just producing babies just to say they have offspring, have a lack a drive to better themselves, or seeking to do just enough to get by, I hope that with God's grace and the push from my brother and I that we will be able to mold little Kamden into a positive role model and touch the lives of others in a positive way.

No comments:

Post a Comment